Pages

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Lent Centerpiece

As I sat down to eat my oatmeal this morning I knew something had to change...

I needed a new centerpiece.  My Valentine's Day arrangement had expired!
So, inspired by the Lenten season, here's what I came up with. 

And here's how to make your own...
  
You will need a wooden base, a dow rod (about 1/4 in diameter), wire, (one gauge that fits through beads, one a bit heavier to fix dow rods together)  wire cutter, and a collection of random beads.   
  
Cut your dow into two pieces, one slightly longer than the other, so that it will make a nice cross.  Next, drill a hole in the center of the wooden base so that the longest dow rod fits into it very snuggly.  

To create the cross fix the two dows together by tightly twisting a wire and wrapping it around as shown above.  
   
O.K. Moving on.  Fix the thinner wire to the base of the cross by twisting it tightly, using a jewelry crimp bead, or a simple square knot like I did.  Then, begin stringing.  I have a massive collection of mismatched beads from old projects and broken jewelry.  If you aren't a borderline hoarder like I am, I  think you can buy big bags of random beads at Hobby Lobby.   
  
Once you have a nice long strand, begin winding it around the dow.  The best part about this step is that you can't mess it up.    Every once in awhile twist the wire around or underneath itself to help secure the beads.   So, let's review... Strand, wind, twist, and repeat.  Work your way up the cross and across the arms.
As you work your way to the end of the dow rod, there will come a point where you can't wrap it without the beads slipping off the end.  Once this happens just start winding back the other way.  To cover the exposed ends apply hot glue and top with plastic or wooden beads.  (Hot glue doesn't work so super well on glass beads.)
  
And that's that!
  
Kinda looks like jelly beans, doesn't it?
  
I added this grass for a springy feel. You can find it in a 12x12 sheet at, where else but Hobby Lobby.
  

Now when I sit down for breakfast I'll be reminded of the Easter miracle!   
Jesus saves!
Thanks for stopping by!


6 comments:

  1. I love the way this turned out. And that it does look like jelly beans! Which is exactly what I thought it was when I first saw the pic.

    Your newest follower.
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. This lovely - and it looks like joy, not sadness. Perfect for a new kind of Lent - eager for Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leah, I love your cute blog!!! And I simply adore your beaded cross. The cross represents so much, but ultimately, what Jesus did for us is such a beautiful thing! Thank you for making it beautiful and for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is too cute - I'm going to have to get some that grass next time I'm at HL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, loving the jelly bean cross. Very clever.

    I would love for you to follow my blog too so that we can share ideas!

    Your newest follower,
    Val @ http://cookcraftcrocheting.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally love this centerpiece!! & it looks like it would be beautiful from any side.
    I'm your newest follower through the "Inspired By Felicity" Link Party. I also linked to that party: www.godsgrowinggarden.blogspot.com
    Thanks
    Angie

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message!